Google

Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Pharyngulite really, honestly, sincerely struggles with The Spiritual Brain



A kind reader wanted to know if I was going to respond in detail to this hit piece against The Spiritual Brain. No. And why should I? The author acknowledges at the outset,
I tried. I really, honestly, sincerely tried. I've been struggling with this book, The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul, by Mario Beauregard and Denyse O'Leary, for the past week and a half, and I've finally decided it's not worth the effort. It's just about completely unreadable.

As he is the only person I have heard of who found The Spiritual Brain hard to read - it is widely praised for its clarity and usefulness, after all, by people coming from a variety of viewpoints - maybe he suffers from "alexia sine agraphia" (the rare "can write but can't read" syndrome). Good to know there's hope.

More likely, he is playing to a crowd of supporters. In that case, speaking of hope, I hope that monkey with the tin cup is still in good health.

Labels: ,